Sunday, August 16, 2009

Late Summer Saturday Date: Yazoo Brewing Company




















It was a hot ass day here in Music City USA but me and my girlfriend had a plan to cool things off just a bit.

We did not hit up the Titans game down at LP Field. Nor did we head over to the Bicentennial Mall and play in the fountains.

Instead, we headed down to the Yazoo Brewing Company to take the tour of the brewery itself and taste the beers that they had on tap.

From the outside, the building that houses the brewery looks like another abandoned factory of Nashville's yesterdays. But once you enter the doors of the old Marathon Motors Co. and take a right, you find yourself in a beer lovers paradise.

The anti-room to the tap room itself is semi-spacious, with chairs, tables, and a rather nice bench. Off to the side of the anti-room is a beer garden that was hosting a party for Vanderbilt alumi. Being an alumnus of UT, I steered clear of their party.

While the area described above is small, the tap room itself is smaller than that. I counted, at most, six tables that can seat four or so people a piece. There is also space at the bar for about six or seven. We happened to show up in the middle of someones birthday, so the spots at the bar were secured.

While the wait to purchase our sampler tray of beers was roughly thirty or so minutes, it gave me the chance to really get a feel for the customer base and the people serving the beer.

I have been to bars with crappy service and bars with good service, stepping up to the bar at Yazoo was like stepping up to my favorite bar from my college days. The service was quick, fast, and to the point. Apart from a few people that were ahead of me, their was no poking or prodding to get up to the bar.

I personally recommend the Nitro Stout. It was by far the best beer that I had out of the sampler tray. It was not as thick as Guinness but it had that wonderful stout taste and texture that hooks the dark beer lover.

My least favorite was the Hopps Project IPA. I'm not really an IPA kind of guy and this IPA surely had enough hopps to last me until next year. However, if you are a fan of IPA's, there is no reason that you wouldn't love this beer.

The culmination of our evening out was the tour of the facility.

Our amazing tour guide walked us through the process by which they made the delicious beer that we got to sample at each step of the way and for a low price of just $6, the tour is truly worth it.

Not only do you get beer samples, but you get a pint glass that you can keep, for tasting your samples.

Pros: Quick tour with multiple times offered (check the website for specific times), decently priced pints and growlers ($4 and $11 respectively), great staff.

Cons: It is balls ass hot in that building.. if you do not like to sweat while waiting for a beer, you may want to wait and make this a fall/winter/early spring outing, if you aren't use to a more trendy crowd then the brewery may not be the place for you.. I know I mentioned this point to my girlfriend and it brought a laugh, it's really cramped at times.. so if you have a problem with crowds you may want to try and schedule an earlier trip and possibly not on a weekend.

Overall:4 out 5

No comments: